Monday, April 7, 2014

Things That I Have Learned - F for Floricide

Today is the start of a new week in the April A to Z blogger challenge and the letter of the day is F.  This could have been an easy one for me since I could have used my F for two things that are extremely close to me, Friends or Family, but why keep it easy.   So my blogger word for today is  Floricide - The killing of flowers.

I love flowers.  The array of colors and the wonderful smells.  Every spring they represent a new beginning. Winter is over and sun and fun is up ahead.  So every May I go to a nursery and take in their beauty. I roam around up and down each aisle for what seems like hours, finally making my choices. I take them home and lovingly plant them.

In the beginning I am very diligent about watering.  I find myself hymning as I pull each annoying weed that will hurt my little sweet friend.  May becomes June and I am still going pretty strong with my daily routine of watering and weeding.  July I start to slack off a bit and my poor flowers some days are looking rough around the edges.  OK so by them time mid August comes around I am totally done and have killed at least half of the flower crop.  I should feel guilty but I am not.  I do not see myself as a cruel person but by August I am done with the blaring heat and humidity and its every flower for herself at this point.

I admit it I AM A FLOWER KILLER!!!!!!!  My wanted poster should be hung from every nursery in America.  So what I have learned is that a flower killer like myself should always buy artificial to save the poor little plants from imminent destruction, but May is right around the corner. I am thinking spring and flowers and their beauty, hmmmmm maybe this year I will be better.  The poor flowers can only hope anyway.

THIS IS A RESULT OF A FLOWER KILLER
Mary Ann

4 comments:

  1. Annuals are not meant to last more than one season. So give yourself a break for annuals. Flowers are one of those things you are meant to enjoy (see your post for "E"). Go to the nursery, shop and enjoy the colors and the fragrances. God gave us flowers for a reason. PS, I have been known to kill a flower or two but that didn't destroy the enjoyment I got from it. http://yeakleyjones.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. A few weeks ago, I bought a lovely tulip in a pot. You don't want to know how long it lasted in my house…. :( I so wish I had a green thumb!

    Madeline @ The Shellshank Redemption
    Minion, Capt. Alex's Ninja Minion Army
    The 2014 Blogging from A-Z Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too am guilty of floricide. I have the blackest of black thumbs and any plant that comes into my domain should beware....

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahaha! I was having trouble with my internet today and didn't get on till now. Actually saw your comment before I read this post. Singing to the choir, maybe I'd have a chance if it wasn't so hot here!!I have some house plants that I haven't killed. I'm sticking to my veggies which I'm good at. :)
    Have you tried marigolds? I think they're unkillable!

    ReplyDelete