Monday, April 14, 2014

Things That I Have Learned - L for Letting Go

As I am coming to the mid point of the A to Z Bloogers Challenge I feel myself losing a bit of steam.  L seems like a simple letter, tons of words to choose but even just this morning I was at a loss.   So instead of first thing this morning working on my blog, I decided to clean out closets. My husband and I have sold our home of 30 years and will be moving to a new house in a few wee  It's been quite a journey, lots of emotional highs and lows.  So as I held one of my daughter first crayon drawings I realized that my L would be Letting Go.

We first let go of our mothers hand, taking those first steps toward independence.  We are only babies not knowing what's up ahead but we can't seem to stop ourselves from running forward.  Through our lives we continually have to let go.  We let go of our children  knowing that that's the right thing to do but still sad that they are making a life on their own without us.

Over the last few weeks I have had to let go of tons of things, some I have kept for years, not sure why, those are easy to chuck. Others not as easy, like an old rocker that belonged to my mother, it's in pieces and not at all salvageable and yet I find myself filling up with tears as I throw it in the garbage.

What I have learned is that letting go is hard but in order to embrace new things and a new future I need to take my own steps forward. It is a lesson that we all can learn from.




Mary Ann

2 comments:

  1. When my mom passed away, he left me most of her stuff when he remarried. I had two pianos and sewing machines. Some of it was easy enough to give away and like you, some I couldn't bear to part with. Then I had a dream where my mom came to me and told me it was just stuff. I didn't need to keep it because I had the memories. I took that as a message that my memories were more important that the physical item. Yes, I also shed some tears but felt so much freer when I let the things go. Great post and it doesn't seem like you are running out of steam. I needed a little reminder and you posted this. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Letting go is so hard sometimes. That's what I wrote about for the letter L too. Basically we start letting go as they grow from baby to toddler, to child, to preteen to teen to adult. Right?

    I'm visiting from the A to Z Challenge.

    http://5heartsonefamily.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete